Hide and Seek

Tonight I played a frantic game of hide and seek. I lost.

After dinner we brought the kids for baths. Jake has been acting funny for a couple days, but it's been impossible to figure anything out. At some point I rationalized it with his less than  balanced, probably too low calorie and fat diet (yeah, I know, completely opposite of my issue! He's the only one in the house, including two cats and three dogs, that I am concerned because he's all muscle and bones! Also opposite of my issues!) At any rate, I noticed red marks on him in the bath. Looking closer I noticed they were hives. SUPER DUPER! Honestly, every time we've had a medical problem with us, kids, cats, dogs, it's been a Sunday night. I don't know about kids, but in case you were wondering, a Sunday night pet issue pretty much requires you to swipe your credit card to speak to someone, and then to walk in the Emergency Vet... yeah probably still paying it off 7 years later!

At any rate, hives. My first hive experience in a non-doctor setting. Sweet! The vomiting seemed less serious. (granted probably because I didn't know it was an allergic reaction!) So i race around trying to find the Benedryl that I am pretty sure we lost (yeah, I don't know either! ). I still have hope, and I am not interested in using an Epi-pen (although that would make the $30 for about 9 months worth it). My husband continues to yell from the bathroom that it will probably be fine because he seems fine and people get hives all the time, as he repeatedly interjects the questions what did he eat (k, two things here; 1. he sat next to him and watched him eat, do i really need to list it over and over? and 2. I am not suppose to worry but he practically makes me do the Heimlich every time our 9 month old does her new fake cough- which she does a lot because it's funny when daddy freaks out- much the same as Jake did because he too thought that daddy's reaction was hysterical, also why, if our child ever actually chokes I'll likely be busy laughing at a wonderful dad's hilarious reaction to coughing) . To make a short story longer, I did not find the Benedryl (Yup, lost the Benedryl). I didn't use the Epi-pen (I'm perfectly good wasting that money every 9 months!). And Jake is sleeping in our bed.

To make a long story short, it's nerve wracking having a child with allergies who has a reaction in which I have no idea what caused it. My husband was convinced, for a moment, it was the bubbles in the tub, until I (lovingly of course) pointed out that we'd used half the bottle already. Granted, Jake use to eat 2 dozen eggs a week and now is highly allergic to them. What do i know?! We never figured out if it was a skin reaction or food reaction. But I am going to buy Benedryl as soon as we wake up!!!

Anyone else have this experience? Did you figure out what the allergy was? How did you narrow that down? It's like a crazy game of Clue. I did use to love that game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day Sweets and Sweeties...

N.. Ice Cream....Summer preview!

Merry Christmas and Other Holidays!! And vegetables!