Allergies on Vacation.. and paleo muffins...

Ahh vacation..! A time to relax, smell the salty sea air, lay in the warm sand letting the sun's ray wash over you, taking a cool dip in the ocean or pool when you get too hot. Cleaning up for the day and going to a nice relaxing dinner, lounging in the hot tub at night...

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Just kidding! I have kids. And kids with allergies. so pretty much vacation is being home, at the beach, except not in your own zone. I cook, I do laundry, and I freak out when the baby crawls on the floor of the hotel, and wonder how much sand is a serving. But, it's nice to see the water as I run by or from the pool deck because someone doesn't want to touch sand. However, the beach is my Zen and it's been a very long time. We do always get a condo because we do not chance restaurants. This is hard for me, I'm use to vacation including being waited on and not doing all the work! But, for the kids, we do anything we need to eh? Not to mention, now that we are veganish AND have to be 100% dairy free, it's easier to make everything myself. Although, I also must bring half my kitchen because it's not safe to use stuff others have used. ya hoo. So, I generally make a huge batch of muffins for breakfasts and snacks. Makes at least one meal easy.

Paleo muffins. What is Paleo? Big trend, however, I'm not that into it. For one, not eating animal products makes it's tough. Two, I'm not great at history but I'm about 100% positive our "paleo" ancestors did NOT use coconut flour, and butter. No? But here's a muffin recipe anyway. Low carb, good fat. Some allergies free. It's neigh impossible to exclude every allergy, but substitutes could be made. I'll warn, these are best eaten with a fork. Oh and to further warn.... my husband loved these but I got this text (my favorite EVER)... "what was in those muffins, I barely made it to work?!" and lets just say, he's never had a GI concern in his life. Which makes one wonder how my 2yo ate about 6?!

                                                     Paleo Blueberry Muffins (what's a paleo?)

preheat oven to 425 F.

cream 1/2 c. butter (earth balance, or probably any)
1 c. coconut sugar

2 c. almond flour
1 c. oats
1/2 t salt
1/2 c ground flax
1/4 c hemp seeds
1t baking powder

mix in 2/3 c canned coconut milk (or other)
squeeze of lemon


fold in 1 c. blueberries

bake for 15-22 minutes. start checking at 15.

P.S. enjoy! I will not be making these for the car!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day Sweets and Sweeties...

N.. Ice Cream....Summer preview!

Update time!! and better mac and cheeze!!!