Eggless??

Whether you forgot to buy eggs, used them all, or are allergic, there's always a moment when we want to make something that needs ("needs") eggs and we forget until we start mixing. There are so many different variations of replacements it's hard to know what to use where. Here's a start...

Things like pancakes and muffins don't really need a replacement. If you feel seriously inclined to replace, try GROUND flax. The general method is 1 Tablespoon of ground flax plus 3 Tablespoons of water, equals one egg. ORRRRRRRRRRRRR.... you dump in anywhere from 1/4 to 1 cup of ground flax in everything because it has health benefits anyway... I should start a one bowl cooking series. I do nearly everything in one bowl, as fast as possible. Generally holding  a child.

Other substitutes are 1/4 cup mashed banana, 1/4 applesauce. Chia gel. (but this adds a bit of a crunch, be aware). There are several products, Ener G, and some new vegan egg product. I tend to lean towards real food products. I cannot forget the new kid on the block, aquafaba (the slimy water from the can of chickpeas). I did attempt to make meringue cookies from these, I do not recommend using cream of tartar, leaves a sour taste and the cookies were a bit of a gummy disaster anyway.

Truth be told, I pretty much always go for flax. Or find a vegan recipe. My son loves banana muffins, but my daughter (when asked what kind of muffins she preferred) responded, "muffins like a cookie". that's my girl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day Sweets and Sweeties...

N.. Ice Cream....Summer preview!

life.....