Get Your Kids to Eat What you Cook!!

Well, what a year...  baby number 5 surprising us (or will be in Oct/nov) , I have not made any headway into spending less on groceries. Or on this blog obviously! But we are recovering from losing a pet, and possibly one more being terminal, my father's cancer (he will be home soon for a bit before surgery. well not my home, 10 hours from here) and many other things.

 I have however, found the key to getting the kids to eat more vegetables, and foods that I cook, in general. Here's the (probably familiar? ) background...

Dinner Time!! What are we having?! I want this! I don't want this! I don't like this! Can you make this?  Me: head spins and I lose it. I decided that I would never again make more than one dinner!!! FREEDOM!!!!! I prewarned the kids. I informed them that dinner is dinner and whatever I make is dinner and they would be expected to try it. If they choose not to eat it, they are able to get a banana, or other fruit, but not a whole other separate meal, and they can get it themselves.

Guess what happened..... For two days they tested... and now they have found out they actually like things they didn't know they did! what?!?!?! My life got much easier!!! The only exceptions are that each of my children has a true dislike for one or two things (lets say that we found out my 6yo lady may possibly vomit on the table when forced to take a bite of sweet potato... um the end...). If I am making something exclusively those truly disliked foods (ie. chili, my 3 almost 4 yo has a reaction no one wants to see with beans.... and since we are vegan, chili is beans!) I will substitute something I decide and something easy. (said almost 4yo loves sweet potatoes and will make that his whole dinner)

And guess what else? They don't complain and aren't so "picky". So pretty much I learned that that was my fault and not theirs. Special... add it to the list. haha....

I also make lunches now primarily vegetable and fruit based and am trying to keep them from as much bread (though we do use Ezekiel which is the best). But seriously, my 6yo daughter would eat toast for every meal if I let her (with Earth Balance butter). So probably missing some nutrients. And, while I didn't mine making breakfast or dinner, lunch was driving me crazy. So  no I have 5 compartment plates that I fill with whatever I feel like and see what happens. The kids think it's fun (they even call them the "cool cool plates") and it's easier than taking 4 lunch orders.


Next up: I have mastered (almost) living in a regular hotel room with the inability to go out to eat bc of allergies. (which by the way, now my current youngest cannot have bananas, that's fun. But bc she's not anaphylactic, we do let others eat them. Important when your husband has braces and he's whining about being hungry :). I will post that soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas and Other Holidays!! And vegetables!

N.. Ice Cream....Summer preview!

Valentine's Day Sweets and Sweeties...